WE are the music-makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams.
(Arthur O'Shaughnessy)

      Pen Wrath     


Monday, March 12, 2007

Pleadings - the new cover letter?!

Follow this link and you'll come across something I reeled in on one of my frequent clicking expeditions.

Several years back, The Smoking Gun's feature on a (then) 25-year old law student's unique job pitch elicited a lot of gasps of entertainment (and outrage) from the legal and non-legal community. According to the TSG, the applicant, in his pleading-styled "letter",
promised prospective employers that, "If my mother's funeral was the day of a key deposition, I would do the eulogy via teleconference after the deposition."And if his wedding was on the date of a key trial, "the wedding would be postponed. If the wife to be did not like it, I would inform her that work comes before EVERYTHING ELSE and that if she does not like this, she is free to find a competing husband."

I don't know how effective the interview request was in landing Matt Toll his dream job, but it sure is a riveting read. It flummoxed me how this guy could even summon the nerve to write it, at the same time that it sent me into gales of laughter. Dare I make something like it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment