WE are the music-makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams.
(Arthur O'Shaughnessy)

      Pen Wrath     


Wednesday, March 21, 2007

ID Society

Music Playing: My Maksim playlist


It's hard going about without a satisfactory form of identification these days, and I can't help but wish for those (long abandoned) days when I didn't have to produce so many forms of identification just to prove that I am who I say I am. While I do get the idea behind the extensive I.D. requirements in these 'terror-ridden' days, I feel that sometimes it's a case of paranoia plus = overkill.

Since I'm no longer a student, my UP I.D. doesn't always work the wonders it did before. I'm working on getting a passport, a postal I.D. and a driver's license but blast, now that my I.D. is no longer "current", it really feels as if I'm living a half-life. Come to think of it, a half-life is kinda ... viral.

Last month, I received two checks from DDL for some research work I did. They got my name right but the hens of red tape came in to roost. I couldn't encash it and I couldn't deposit it. The drawer's bank wanted proof of identification that my papers apparently couldn't satisfy: no driver's license, no SSS/GSIS ID, no passport and no voter's ID but wait - I have a NBI clearance with my picture on it and other information that would have appeared on, say, my driver's license if I had one - and it's a government issued thing. Still, not good enough.

Add to the aggravation the fact that I couldn't deposit the checks into my accounts because, according to the helpful bank personnel, I did not submit proof of billing when I opened my accounts and I had no government IDs then. What in Olida - living with the parent and leading a simple life sure have a lot of drawbacks. Free food, water and no bills to pay (though I try and give my token of appreciation in cold cash) and all that.

I still got my money's worth, though. Negotiability - don't you just love it sometimes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment