WE are the music-makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams.
(Arthur O'Shaughnessy)

      Pen Wrath     


Friday, February 17, 2006

Midday meanderings of my mind



Music may be food for the soul, but could it also be the key to physical starvation? If I don’t watch out, it just might be.
I blew several days’ allowance to acquire not one but two CDs while running some bank-related errands at SM North. I’ve always wanted to buy Maksim’s latest CD, but due to a series of unfortunate or inopportune events in the past few weeks, I had to temporarily shelve that particular goal. I guess I just ran out of patience a hearing, two midterm exams, and several class days after my Nunc Pro Tunc post.
I headed for SM North’s Tower Records immediately after IPL, and picked up a copy of Maksim’s A New World album. Not new age, but classical crossover. I can tune into straight classical without falling asleep but classical crossover music makes me feel alive. It helps that the seriously talented pianist is quite a piece of eye candy, too.
Just as I was about to have the CD tested, another CD caught my eye. It was a 2-CD compilation of classical music – soundtrack pieces, and film devotee that I am, I just had to have it.
So, now, after having seriously dented my intended budget for this week, I find the prudent part of me raising its rarely-seen head, and the prospect of spending a lot of money on food makes me feel as if my guts are tying themselves up.
I have an eye on buying the Grammy 2006 nominees CD, Linkin Park’s Meteora, and Shakira’s Fixacion Oral vol. 1 & 2 next. At the rate I’m going, I’ll have to cut back on pocketbook purchases. Not that my little bookshelf will mind – after all, it’s already groaning under the weight of all the books piled on it!

Addendum: I can almost see eyebrows rising. Banking … in a mall? The idea’s not so outlandish, especially when the bank has a branch within the mall. It has a tinge of the counter-intuitive, though, where building a bank account is concerned. The mall is one of the most effective innovations in inducing people to spend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment