WE are the music-makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams.
(Arthur O'Shaughnessy)

      Pen Wrath     


Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Nunc Pro Tunc

First, ten cents’ worth on Narnia: A tad too sappy and moralistically monochromatic for my taste, the bright spots of the movie are neither the daughters of Eve nor the sons of Adam, but the other members of Kingdom Animalia.
All that wide-eyed innocence by the little girl started to grate on my nerves 15 minutes into the movie. Edmund’s obsession with some concoction the witch served out of ice and snow was a bit, like, hello? Also, his rebellion against his brother was a bit out there, but then, that’s sibling rivalry for you. (Yup, I speak from experience.) I thought Susan would be having more action scenes. It was a bit of a letdown to see only the guys fighting.
I think Aslan’s terrific, although I’m not sure lions can grow that big in real time. At least, the sorry lions at the Manila Zoo won’t ever be that big, especially the ones in the cages. How many lions are there in the said zoo, anyway? Well, the lions in The Ghost & the Darkness were huge and terrifying, but that’s another story altogether.
I didn’t want to see Aslan die on the stone slab. I know it’s a bit silly, but while the witch was being bitchy, I found myself thinking that Edmund had better be worth the sacrifice of Aslan’s life. The scene gives a new meaning to the saying, “Life’s a bitch, and then you die.” When the life blinked out of Aslan’s eyes, I wanted to run home and hug my kitty (whose name is Sushi, go figure). Well, I wanted to run home and hug all our cats. Yes, all ten of them.
The baying of the wolves made shivers run up and down my spine, and poor Fox (that red-coated, pointy-nosed little fella was a fox, wasn’t it?) was really fodder for his bigger cousins. Family squabbles abound in Narnia, it seems. Did anyone notice the snow tiger go head to head against the cheetah in the final battle? I would have bet on the snow tiger any day, though I don’t mind having a tame cheetah for a friend.
The cinematography of Narnia is impressive, though it is nowhere near the scale of LOTR or HP. Much of my dissatisfaction with the movie lies in the fact that I prefer a bit of a twist to my stories nowadays, but in general, I think it’s a good movie for kids. They get to learn the basics of good and bad first. Expectations of intricacies aside, it’s a commendable family- and values-oriented film.

Shattered glass: Monday went well. Baviera’s hirits are funny. Sometimes. I was awake the whole period, unlike last Friday’s session when I found myself dozing off. No kidding. I could here the professor droning on about easements – well, just her voice, but not what she was actually saying. Then, horror of horrors, I was called on to recite on Art. 596 of the Civil Code! That went fairly well, notwithstanding the fact that I was just a few winks away from dreamland some moments earlier. Then I had to recite on the Sun Brothers Co. case, and I was all fuzzy about the names. Thank God I got the groove back when discussing the ratio decidendi of the case and answering the professor’s questions!
I wanted to buy a new Maksim CD after the Banking midterms, and I should just have gone out immediately after class to do so. Aargh! Procrastinator that I am, I decided to do it before attending Civ, but what do you know? Monday morning, my specs slipped from my fingers and landed face down on the bathroom floor, and wham! Three marvelously well-defined cracks in the right lens of my super thin-lensed eyewear, and that was that. Since I'd left my contacts in the dorm, I was quite worried about going to school as I couldn't read the signboards on the PUJs or PUBs. That's when I truly appreciated the term "visually-impaired". So, I guess Maksim will just have to wait another day before he profits from me...and I'll have to wait until Thursday before going off contacts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment